Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
saddleback lake

Hi All -- I'll be up on saddleback lake in about 10 days (July 8-15) for our usual family trip. We've been doing this for a couple of years now. I've spent lots of time on the lake, have seen lots of rises, and quite a few hatches, but haven't had a single take on my flies. My father, on the other hand, landed 2 very nice brookies last year on a goldfish lure and a spinner rod (first time out on the lake with me). We were out near the middle of the lake, and practiced catch and release as we always do.

Anyway, I am looking for a few tips and some pearls of wisdom.

I've seen large green drakes on the water, but haven't figured out what is hatching during those 7am times when the lake seems to come alive (just offshore of the beach area).

I usually fly fish very early am -- 5ish til about 8am and then later in the day. I've tried caddis, green drakes, various bread head nymphs, usual terrestrials, and when my dad was connecting with a gold fish lure I went with a streamer. Nothing has worked.

I usually fish the lake toward saddleback mountain -- the cove and point on the east side and toward what looks like the South Branch of the dead river on the west side. I haven't spent much time out in the middle. I do most of my fishing from canoe.

I've used a 7-9 ft leader in the past, and think I might go with a 12 ft this time around. I do use a sinking head or weight a line to get the wets down.

Any thoughts, musings, tips, suggestions, would be most appreciated. Again, I've seen plenty of trout -- in fact, saw one lunker that cleared the water in the middle of the lake. Big splash, but well out of range. Cool experience!

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this lament and respond!

Cheers -j

p.s. -- Obviously, I am not in this for catching fish -- otherwise I would leave my gear at home :) Still, it would be nice to know whether I am doing the right things or not, and whether I could improve my chances of having a brookie go after what I offer them during this time of year.

p.s.s -- Most of my fishing has been on streams in the NY and VT area -- battenkill, etc. The fish tend to be quite selective, tho I have done well the times I have been out.