Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling Rangeley

Excellent September fishing on Rangeley this past week with several salmon in the 4-6 pound range. Warm and humid weather conditions these past few days as well as a south wind haven’t hurt the bite on large salmon. One day, brothers Wally and Dave caught and released several nice fish including a 2.5 lb brook trout for Dave and a 4 lb salmon for Wally, happy birthday Wally!
Larry and Cindy fished two mornings with me and the best fish was Cindy’s 3.12lb salmon. The same evening I fished with Jon Greenlaw and we boated a beautiful 6 lb female. This fish is headed for the taxidermist. The next morning fishing with Cliff, Susan, Phil and Sondra we boated and released 5 salmon with two being exactly 5 pounds. On was a native female and the other an 01 male Sebago strain. What a great week for Trophy Salmon on Rangeley lake.
See you out there,
Shaun Swain
Rangeley Lake Guide Service

Re: Trolling Rangeley

Great job Shaun! They are out there and you find them consistently! Love to check this sight out and always look to see how you've done! Bob

I've been coming up to Rangeley for many years and haven't caught anything bigger than my hand. I came to the conclusion that Rangeley was fished out. so I fished the shallows west of the bridge in the cove.

I'm reading this sight and wondering if one can catch
fish like you mention in August or late July trolling
deeper water. I never did this down-rigger stuff. Sounded complicated when explained to me at the fishing shop. Fortunately, I always catch nice bass
on Salmon Lake in the Belgrades near to sunset. Who do I call for an hour of learning to fish Rangeley, if the season is appropriate.

Richard in baltimore

Richard you can catch trout and salmon in July and August by trolling. You have to get your lure, streamer, or sewn on bait down to where the fish are. It is not that complicated once someone shows you how it is done. You should book a morning or evening trip with Shaun Swain of Rangeley Lake Guide Service and have him show you what is involved. You can always learn something hanging around him. Check out his web site www.fishrangeley.com . Let me know how you make out. Bob Herman in New Jersey