Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling Rangeley

Action has been good for Landlocks on Rangeley with several in the 4-5 pound plus range. A couple of the biggest fish this week came to young clients which I’m sure made lifelong memories for them.
One 15 yr old girl played a beautiful big male Salmon to the back of the boat and we watched it jump several times before it broke free from the hook. A learning experience for her as I explained that this fish needed to run under light drag to tire it out some but in all the excitement people don’t always here what you are saying and just keep on reeling.
As it turned out the next rod was a 3 ½ pound male that she played very well and we landed and released this fish. Another 15 yr old boy caught and released 3 big salmon in one evening with the biggest being 5 lbs. Not bad for a hot august evening.
On a morning trip with Bill Griffin and his son we caught a male hatchery salmon that was an 03 west grand strain that weighed in at 4.6 pounds! This is an excellent example of the growth potential of Rangeley Salmon as the average for 03 stockers is 2.12 lbs.
Hope you can get a chance to get out and try your luck.
See you out there,
Shaun Swain
Rangeley Lake Guide Service

Re: Trolling Rangeley

Hey Shaun, Read your report on recent activity out on the lake. I look forward to seeing what you get into out there. I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge and experiencies with Jim, Rick,Freddie and and I. The campfire and early morning shore talks with the group, are really enjoyable. Have a good year! Bob

Re: Trolling Rangeley

Bob,
My pleasure to have you all around for your week in August. I wish I had more time to relax and visit with you all, my favorite time of the season with all of you there.
I will keep you posted by writing a couple of reports this month.
Thanks,
Shaun