Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
recommended flies

Greetings -- I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a "must have" list of flies for this time of year and this region. I'll be on Saddleback lake -- a smallish brook trout fishery only about 14 feet deep. Last year I saw more than my share of brookies -- mostly hitting the surface hard and some even clearing the water. I am thinking subsurface flies, but am not sure what would be a good match to the region and lake environment. Thanks in advance. -john

Re: recommended flies

John,
Youi did not say when you would be fishing Saddleback Lake ,but if it is in the near future here are the flies I would recommend. For dries a black or tan caddis and a lite or dark cahill should be good. For wet flies Wolly Buggers on the smallish size and small wet flies such as Cahills wet, and Caddis pupa should do the trick. I live just up the road from Saddleback Lake and have done quite well there at certain times.
Good Luck
Tight lines
Ray Soriano
Rangeley Region Guide Service

Thanks Ray. I'll be up there tomorrow for about a week. Last year I seem to remember seeing your name (on a tree?) as we headed to the cabin we rent on the lake. Cheers -j

Ray-

Will also be at Saddleback next week fo our annual sojourn. Is the water too warm for any fish to come up? Any fly suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul