Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Androscoggin River report

Androscoggin river report

The end of September is close at hand. As the fishing season winds down I look back on the years fishing with fond memories. May and June produced some great fishing both for Trout and Bass. Most of the fish were taken on streamers, which day in and day out should be your first choice unless you see surface activity. We did have some excellent dry fly action as well. Those days certainly are a blast! Seeing a good fish come up and take a dry fly is a super rush. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Big Rainbow or Brown taking a #10 dark caddis or a big Bass slamming a Sneaky Pete next to a boom island it is why we fish and why I guide.
What have been the critical issues this year? The Bass in the Rapid takes first place in most of our minds. The biologists are working hard with volunteer help to get fact-based information to make proactive changes versus reactionary ones that are short term and maybe counter productive. We all hope that the Brook trout fishery can be maintained and that the impact the bass will have can be minimized. There is one thing that is certain the bass are there to stay, unfortunately.
We must also remember that the Rapid is not the only state water at risk from introduction of a non-indigenous species. There are several that have been negatively impacted by someone with ignorant arrogance that has made a change that affects all of us.
Late season fishing is in full swing now. The river is open to catch and release artificial only till freeze up. The fishing will go down hill fast once the water temp hits 42 decrees, so get out a enjoy it while you can.
I will guide my first party on the 23rdafter rupturing my Achilles tendon unloading my drift boat from the trailer on the 24th of August. I have missed being in the boat and having the opportunity to share the fishing experience with clients. The loss of income is a set back, but the inactivity, the loss of good times spent with clients and friends on the water is the hardest part dealing with this injury.
A man should believe in something…I believe I’ll go fishing!