Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
August Trolling

Fishing for coldwater species like Salmon and Trout during the month of August can be trying at times but when you fish the same water for more years than I care to count, the rate of success tends to increase. The catch rate usually slows this month and the fish seem to be less aggressive on the whole but the big fish keep coming on Rangeley
I have been blessed with many large fish this month in the 4-5lb range and many wonderful clients to share the experience with.
Fishing with Lowell and his mom on the 4th we landed a beautiful 4.4lb salmon, the next day Neil Thompson caught and released a 4lb female fish. On the 10th 8yr old Zach landed another 4lb fish. Zach comes every year and for the last 3 yrs has caught a big fish. Conner doyle was back again with his mother and Uncle this year, We had a windy day from the east but managed to catch some good fish with one salmon weighing 3.8lbs.
Carl Jelleme caught and released a beautiful 4.12 lb salmon on the 16th and John Giro did the same with a 4.12lb salmon on the 18th. On the 17th Kevin Munroe landed a fat 19” brookie that weighed 3.8 lbs. I even managed a two hour evening with my brother on Rangeley. I wanted him to have the first rod and it was a regular salmon that we promptly returned just as another rod went off and I set the hook on my second fish of the year. It turned out to be a nice 4lb. female salmon that we released also. These fish are still showing excellent growth rates with some of the 4+ lb hatchery stock only being in the lake for 2 years. These are some of the best fish of the month with many other returning clients spending some great hours trolling Rangeley Lake. Come on up and experience the September fishing, those big fish are still here.
See you out there,
Shaun

Re: August Trolling

Hey Shaun - it sounds like things started to heat up a bit just after we all left in August! Oh well I can'tr wait till next summer. It will be here before you know it.