Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
20 lb evening

What a great evening on last Friday. Fishing with Bob Randall and his son Ross we caught 5 salmon and released 3. We started out with pouring rain and wind for about 30 minutes, then it stopped and cleared off beautifully. The first fish got off far behind the boat and then the next rod was a 4.12 lb beauty that 12 yr old Ross did an excellent job of landing. Then Bob caught a 3 lb fish and these 2 went in the cooler. Ross then caught a 3 lb salmon and released it, Bob’s next fish was a beautiful 5.8 lb female that we took a quick photo and released. The last rod of the evening was for Ross and it just happened to be 4.10 lb and fought extremely well. This particular fish was a 2002 sebago strain! I have been very impressed with the number of young hatchery fish weighing over 4 lbs. this year. I expect when the biologists compile their data this year should go down as a good to excellent growth year. Check the photos page as I will post these fish pictures soon.
See you out there,
Shaun

Re: 20 lb evening

Hello Shaun,
That was a great night. We had a lot of fun. Both trips out were highlights to our trip, and the sunsets were as good as the fishing. Ross is hooked. =) Ross is back from the Olympics now and has just read this post. He's all jacked up again to go back up there. He thinks fishing should be a new Olympic event. Thanks for everything, see you next year, if not sooner. (still holding out hope)
Here's Ross:
Hi Shaun, We ate my 4.12lb the next day when we were home. I'm still waiting for my dad's little 3lb.
I want to go again but my dads not sure we'll get there again this year but he says we're going again next summer. Now that I'm home from Greece we'll eat the other fish. The Olympics were fun and we got to see a lot of events. Thanks for showing me how to catch salmon and thank you for the pictures. They are awesome. See you next year.