Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trolling Rangeley

I have truly been blessed with some great clients as well as quality trout and salmon to catch.
Last Monday I fished with Mike Kupstas and his son Jon, Mike’s brother Steve also came along with his son Ryan. As the old saying goes “when the wind is in the east the fish bite the least” was true for us that day as we only boated and released 3 fish and lost a fourth one behind the boat. The great part of this story is three of them were over 4lbs and the fourth was a solid 3lbs. In the evening I fished with a young couple from New York and we caught 3 fish with another 4 lb salmon and the other two being 3.5 and 3lb plus.
On Saturday morning I fished with a young newlywed couple from florida and had an interesting experience in that we set the hook on a fish and it immediately began to take line and never stopped. We tightened the drag and watched 125 yards of line disappear in 30 seconds. When it got to the end it held on the knot for a split second and then exploded.
I have never been spooled on Rangeley before this and never gave a thought to turning the boat until it was too late. I have caught many 5and 6lb salmon and never had one pull that hard for that long. As I play that 30 seconds over in my mind I have this picture of what could have been a 9 or 10 lb salmon racing away from the boat and what a thrill it would have been to catch it. It will have to be one for the “got away” file.
Monday evening was another big fish trip with 13 yr. old Danny boating a beautiful 6lb male salmon. This fish was a 2000 stocked fish in excellent condition and above average growth. Danny’s brother Kevin also boated a 3lb salmon while Michael lost one at the boat about the same size.
In closing I must repeat what a blessing to offer people a guide service to such a great fishery as Rangeley Lake.

Re: Trolling Rangeley

I can't wait to get up there next week. Sounds like there are some big ones up there. I want to thank you for all that you taught me about trolling over the past few years. I'll putting all of that knowledge to use again this year. I don't know if I'm ready for that 8 pounder yet. See you at Dockside Sports.

Re: Trolling Rangeley

Hi Shaun...
We'll be coming up to Rangeley on July 29th. We love to troll but use Mooselook wobblers as dad never taught me how to "sew bait on the hook."

Any suggestions? Copper or silver? How deep are they now?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Jan