Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maine's Upper Androscoggin River

Maine’s upper Androscoggin River Report
Water Temp 66.5 Flow rate 1683 CFS @ Mead Westvaco In Rumford.

I took busmen’s holiday on Thursday and Fished below Rumford for Bass.
I put in the River with my pontoon boat.It had rained hard before dawn and had ended at six in the morning and the sky was still overcast it was a good day to fish. I had tied up a bunch of different colored clousers and wanted to try them out.
Between ten and four thirty I had fifty strikes and boated thirty-five to forty! I lost a dozen clousers or streamers; either hanging up on bottom or fish broke me off. Color or size made no difference. I think a dirty sock would of worked! The three biggest were over three pounds with one that would push four pounds. At one point on rock I got a strike s on every cast. It didn’t matter what there was for structure, rock, weed bed or thigh deep run Bas were everywhere and on the feed. The best luck was with a “strip and tease” retrieve. The bass seemed to take on the drop. I would start to strip and would have a fish on.
I could of caught more but by four thirty my arm was tired I couldn’t hold the rod well enough to make a good cast and called it a day. . Just before I quit I had a three plus pound Smallie hit the fly as it hit the water. It ran up stream. Jumped three feet out of the water once, twice, and on the third jump the Bass threw the hook, which flew by my head over my right shoulder.
All I could do was laugh and Smile.
I rowed to the closest access point to get up to the road. Hitched a ride back up to my van. I was sore, tired and VERY HAPPY!
“A man should believe in something...I believe I’ll go fishing!”