Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Upper Androscoggin River

Maine’s Upper Androscoggin River report
Water Temp 65 F Flow Rate 1473 CFS @ Mead Westvaco in Rumford.
I have been guiding on the river for a long time and each party I take out fall in love with the River!
It’s not just the fishing. It’s the River and the beauty of the area that one sees while drifting along. I have had clients who have fished all over the world say the Androscoggin River is second to none!
A party on the 20th of Aug. during a windy clear day caught a really nice Brown that was 17 or 18 inches. I took the broad bodied male out of the net by the jaw and was amazed by how big and sharp his teeth were! Over the years I have handled hundreds of big trout and salmon and noted their “ hardware”. This Bad boy topped them all. This brown came on a clouser of my own design that seems to really work well on the Androscoggin. I call the pattern the “ Andy River Special ”
This past Labor day weekend I saw a number of anglers casting on the river in the late afternoon. I had a couple doing a wine and dine Float and had to maneuver around three anglers on a long run below a riffle. There was still miles on water unfished.
The water temp is dropping and fishing will do nothing but improve as cooler weather comes our way.
Fishing the fall is the best there is as far as I’m concerned. No bugs ,fall colors starting to come on. It’s a good time to fish regardless of where you do it.
The Bass fishing will really turn on this mouth as well. If you haven’t tried fly fishing for smallies your missing the boat! Pound for pound they are one of the best fighting game fish.
“A man Should believe in something....I believe I’ll go fishing!”