Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
upper Androscoggin River

Maine’s Upper Androscoggin River

Water Temp 77.81 Flow rate 1002 CfS @ Mead Westvaco in Rumford.

The upper river is still producing some nice fish. The best time is early morning and late evening.

Fish the deep water and the mouth of tributaries. Some excellent trout have come to both dries and streamers including nymphs.

The fishing can be slow but pay off well for those who fish well. Timing is everything.

Fish when it is most productive not when you have time but when the time is right! I know that being out on the water is half the fun. It can be relaxing and pleasant regardless of you catching a fish. There is something special about fishing a fly at dusk or dawn on a beautiful flowing stretch of river.

The Bass fishing is top notch now. I have had several two to three plus pound fish come to boat on a fly. If you have not done it you are missing the boat!!! All too often I hear people speak badly of Bass. This is just elitism. Bass are pound for pound the best fighting fish there is!

Someone may comment on the problem of Bass in the Rapid River. The issue there is one of human stupidity in releasing the Bass in Umbagog. If I could by some miracle get rid of them I would.

There is a place for everything, but the Bass are a deadly competitor in the Rapid.

I have spoken with Forrest Bonney And Dave Boucher about the Rapid and the Best that can be done is to regulate the fishery to help the Brook trout Hold their own. The reality is that the Bass are there to stay. There is no reasonable way to eliminate them. The person or persons responsible for the introduction are the lowest form of Earth PIG there is.

I spent a few days Guiding on the Magalloway this week and took several nice Salmon and Brookies. The flow was good while we were there and it made all the difference.

“A man should believe in something... I believe I’ll go fishing”