Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
upper Androscoggin River

Maine’s upper Androscoggin River Report

Water temp 62.21 F Water Flow Rate 2575 CFS @ Mead Westvaco in Rumford.

I have fished both the river in Maine and New Hampshire and had good fishing! I had two newspaper editors out this past week and we caught several Browns and Rainbows none were over 15 inches except one brown that went 18.

The day was one of those blue bird days with bright sun , no wind and mild temps that make for an enjoyable day a field! We only had a few hours to fish and had to be off the water by three. All things considered we had a good days fishing. I took a Nice fat Rainbow on a #6 gray nymph I had tied up a few days earlier. One of the writers caught a brown in a fast water seam on an eddy that hit like a tank and stripped line and bent the rod over hard! The fish seemed huge and I moved us quickly into the slack of the eddy as the writer tried to work the fish out of the current. Finally the fish was in close to the raft and we could see the flash of a brown trout that was foul hooked dead center in its side by the Clouser minnow! It was only 14 inches but for a couple of minutes we thought we had a twenty-five inch fish on. Well, maybe next time!

I Guided on the Magalloway River the last two days and although we had good water flows from the recent rain the largest fish was a 14 inch Brookie .We caught several small brookies and a few salmon.

The largest was 15 inches. Some older gentlemen with bad legs had good trolling with streamers on the lake and took several salmon the largest was 18 inches, they claimed.

We saw several different may fly spinners but the only thing taking dries were chubs. My clients had fun with the big ones working on the take and playing a heavy although not as aggressive a fish as trout or salmon. Every fish caught should teach you something even a lake chub.

“ A man should believe in something.... I believe I’ll go fishing”