Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No Subject

Well if you've held off coming up to fish so far, you may want to make some plans to visit some soon. Things haven't broken loose yet, but with multiple days of aberrant weather finally more behind us, it bodes well for some of the hatch cycles to begin anew. We have seen some nice March Brown and Hendrickson hatches, and while we never chronicle these as "events" as many areas do, we none-the-less have decent days fishing over these patterns. In addition, a friend from Aziscohos Lake brought me a jar of small black caddis that he had collected from the lake. These represent what will undoubtedly be the beginning of many many days of success for those like me who crave the caddis hatches. I've also heard from a Quimby Pond veteran that the dragonfly nymphs that do so well there have been very productive. It is that time of year when these long-lived creatures finally transform, and the trout just love these "big bugs." The flows on the Magalloway were finally bumped up to over 600 cfs over the weekend, and have been dropped back to just over 300 cfs today. This generally moves some fresh fish around in the river and makes a much more enjoyable fishing experience from the hydro pool on down. Thus far there has been little movement fo fish up into the Kennebago (there always are some there, especially up at the powerhouse pool), but it will take a lot more "incentive" for fish to move in for the summer, so we still need precipitation. Hope to see old friends soon, and meet some newcomers as well.

Chris