Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
upper Androscoggin River

believe in something.... I believe Androscoggin River Report

Water temp 62.12 F Flow rate 2426 CFS at Mead Westvaco in Rumford.

The rain has been a blessing as the temps have been constant with good flows for several days now.

I have heard from some people that the river hasn’t been fishing as well as last spring. Most believe that two years of drought may have taken a toll on the trout. All the fish I have seen looked healthy and well proportioned coming out of the winter. Looking at the tremendous amount of food available, Caddis, stone, May flies and other feed . If there is an issue with drought loss a rebound would be fast in the next season.

The best fishing I have had has been with weighted streamers working long runs with good current

I have done well with nymphs and wets fished in sections that have structure and fast current using the “Brooks method”

Between New Hampshire and Maine one has a hundred miles of good fishing to choose from. The hardest part is getting to fish it all! The best advice I could give any one is to try new areas and different patterns. I hear all the time “Fish a wooly bugger.” Well, that works but so does a lot of other patterns and I have several pattern that work great, but one has to adapt to what the fish key in on at the time your on the water. The fish don’t eat one thing and although the Wooly Buggy is a generalist pattern it is not the end all be all that some may think.

I just finished up guiding up on the Magalloway River and Aziscohos Lake working out of Bosebuck Mt. Camps. We had steady action trolling the lake and the biggest Salmon was 19 inches and weighed 2.75 pounds. My second party were Fly Fishermen and we had two good days in the rain . We caught Trout and Salmon on Streamers and Dries. There were hatches coming off of several different mayflies in scattered, Fishing”random amounts. We also saw a good sized Bear, by chance, while driving up to a highpoint on a ridge to overlook Parmacheene Lake and get a Cell phone Signal. I enjoyed the time a field VERY MUCH.! “ A man should believe in something...I believe I’ll go Fishing"