Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Greart Hunt

A GREAT HUNT!

Oct 19th dawned gray and calm. I was meeting bird hunters at eight: new clients that had called only two days prior. They wanted to work their dogs, but the old home covers around Freeport were no longer available or were gone by as habitat for birds.

Mason Morfit had made the arrangements and had an eleven year old black Lab. Joe Wishcamper

was the other client and had two German Shorthairs. All three dogs were well-trained and willing hunters.

The first covers we hunted produced a few grouse and Mason made an excellent shot on a grouse

and produced the first bird. This was the start of a day that the three of us will always remember!

We moved to a new cover as the rain started to come in earnest. The first point was in five minutes

The dog locked up tight! God, I love watching a good dog work. We followed the dogs as they worked the cover moving back a forth. Point after point , shot after shot. We moved through a perfect cover that held what must have been dozens of birds ,both grouse and woodcock .

It’s odd how being cold and wet from head to toe isn’t as bad when you’re moving birds. We only worked a small section of the whole cover that was available to us when finally the cold got to us. Mason and Joe had limited out on woodcock. The grouse had been worked before and were not giving us a chance to get in close, but that’s how it is. We had watched the dogs work the birds well. We had moved over thirty or forty birds that day. I have had better weather, worked more birds, but for some reason that day will stay with me always. It had the right combination of Cover, Birds, Dogs and Men.

Thank you, Mason and Joe for a day well spent!!!