Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Moose Hunting

It was a fast and successful Moose hunt for David Bolles and 13 year old grandson Matt Ball on the opening day of the season. We left my home at 5 a.m. Monday and proceeded to the back woods where I have been seeing some moose for the past 2 or 3 weeks. We rode up an old logging road a few miles, parked the truck about a mile from where I had been seeing the moose, and made a slow hunt along the road. As we approached the area, we paused for a moment. Just to our left was a small rise and as we moved up the rise to get a better vantage point, a bull stepped out, then turned and bolted back into the brush. The bull stopped about 75 yards away, then turned again to look at us to see what we were. BAD MISTAKE. Matt downed him with 1 neck shot from his 270 caliber Remington. As we approached the bull Matt finished him with another shot. The animal was registered and the biologist aged him at @ 2 1/2 years old ,a young bull that will make excellent table fare. The bull was down at 7:15 a.m. processed an registered by 10:00 a.m. and the happy hunters left for home. More hunting news next week, birds. Watch for deer hunting news in November.

Eat what you shoot!

RAY