Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rangeley Area River Fishing

Fishing report from Bald Mountain Camps/Gray Ghost Outfitters:

As expected this time of year the Kennebago River, Magalloway and Rapid are getting huge fishing pressure. Friday the 27th there were 5 guys trying to fish 1 pool in the Kennebago River. Needless to say we moved on to another secret location. It is interesting to note that although these spawning fish, mostly Trout that I caught, were down on the bottom, they were hitting on streamers and of course fish were being taken on nymphs.

This time of year is always special to me, there is something about the early morning dew walking through the woods to get to your favorite fishing hole with a headlamp on. It always congers up fond memories for me. This year we added to that list of memories with 2 exciting trips to Upper Dam. As most of you know the Upper Dam Pool is famous for the Carrie Stevens Gray Ghost. It is nice to know the fish have not figured this out yet and are still pretty excited about this fly. Even though Upper Dam Pool is still a very busy place angler wise, I find if you exert a certain amount of patience you will find a suitable location that will net you some nice salmon. A friend of mine, Jack McCormack, who is a transplant from New Jersey, had just that sort of experience this weekend. His fishing days were productive at Upper Dam and Jack tells me that most all of the fisherman in the pool were catching fish.

Rapid River is on fire. Fisherman there are using everything from Caddis Nymph to Brown Wolves and seem to caching fish on every cast. The fishing gurue of Rapid River, Aldro French, is so busy hauling in the big ones he has had no time to return phone calls or shower.( Just kidding about the shower part I HOPE). I bumped into him on Friday and if you know Aldro, "the fishing is Marvelous, Yessaah".

Last night my son and I and his young friend and cousin flew over Little Kennebago at around 4 p.m. and counted eight canoes each with 2 people in it fishing the mouth of Seven Pond Stream (Upper Kennebago River). I decided right then and there that one more canoe in that area was two to many. I could not tell from the air whether or not they were catching fish but they sure looked busy slapping the water with their fly lines.

Know it is time to find out how many of you are reading this and paying attention. If you are ready to test your nymphing skills, Little Falls on the Cupsuptic River is the place to go. Nobody is fishing this spot, each day that I have been in there we have been pleasantly surprised with some sizable trout. A strike indicator is a must, have fun guys and gals! Keep a tight Line.

Master Guide

Steve Philbrick