Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mid-September Fishing

It's raining, and that's a good thing. We've received probably 1 & 1/2" in the last 24 hours, and it appears that we'll get some additional over the next 24. It hasn't had any measurable effect just yet on the Kennebago, but it can't make things worse. I'd guess there would be a 2-3" per day rise over the next couple of days, and I know there are fish holding out in the lake waiting on just such a change.

The rest of the area stays pretty consistent at the dams, and I've talked to 6 or so patrons who've all had decent luck there, catching small 10-11" salmon up to some 23-24" fish. There is no "gimmes" out there, but things definitely took an upturn with the rain.

Key areas to check out: the lowere Magalloway flows may drop back with the increased runoff water, and that would be a huge plus. Watch for the upper Magalloway to surge up with increased runoff as well, bringing nice spawning fish up into fishable terrain. And, certainly the biggest change on the Kennebago would open up lots of area to fish. Patterns to use: classical bright streamers, small wire body beadhead nymphs, and a potpouri of small dries. Come on up!

Re: Mid-September Fishing

For what it's worth, myself and 4 friends fished the Rapid river this weekend(sept 13-15th. It's worth mentioning we are all first year fly fisherman. We had decent fishing at headwater to Pond in the River catching 6 brookies from 12"-20" and 5 salmon from 9"-14". Middle Dam produced less being only 1 brookie around 13". Both areas were fairly crowded with most fisherman taking more fish than us (experience the main reason I suspect). Chatting with others it appeared the fishing was overall decent. Water temp was 62-64 best I could tell if my readings are accurate (I had been told it was closer to 6. Fish were caught by us with mostly nymphs, some Rapid River caddis, a fish was taken on white wulfes and we had pretty decent luck with mickey finn streamers (caught the larger fish). We threw everthing at them but was limited on nymphs which we certainly wish we had more. Most people seemed to catch most with nymphs small bead headed and a couple mentioned a stone fly. releases were at 600cfs. We had an enormous amount of rain on Sunday morning in which we fished thru with a couple other die hards - streamers were productive in the rain. There were only a couple of hatches and looked like caddis but overall the rises for these hatches did not seem all that enticing. I hope I helped someone out there consider it pay back for all of the great insight this forum has provided me and my friends prior to this trip. Thanks and best of luck.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

It's raining, and that's a good thing. We've received probably 1 & 1/2" in the last 24 hours, and it appears that we'll get some additional over the next 24. It hasn't had any measurable effect just yet on the Kennebago, but it can't make things worse. I'd guess there would be a 2-3" per day rise over the next couple of days, and I know there are fish holding out in the lake waiting on just such a change.

The rest of the area stays pretty consistent at the dams, and I've talked to 6 or so patrons who've all had decent luck there, catching small 10-11" salmon up to some 23-24" fish. There is no "gimmes" out there, but things definitely took an upturn with the rain.

Key areas to check out: the lowere Magalloway flows may drop back with the increased runoff water, and that would be a huge plus. Watch for the upper Magalloway to surge up with increased runoff as well, bringing nice spawning fish up into fishable terrain. And, certainly the biggest change on the Kennebago would open up lots of area to fish. Patterns to use: classical bright streamers, small wire body beadhead nymphs, and a potpouri of small dries. Come on up!