Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fall Fishing Thoughts

This may or may not be overly optimistic, but I still believe we're going to see some solid fishing opportunities this Sept. (and Oct where allowed). Several nights of quite cool temps and the forecast of a "spot" of rain tomorrow could be just what we need. No, it's not like we just received 2-3" of needed rain, but a bit of meteorology in my blood says we are shifting tracks a bit, and tropical moisture starts to head our way. I read enough about bad economy, bad weather, bad government, and bad people, so excuse me for a little optimism over such a "serious" matter as fishing. I refuse to accept bad fishing as a descriptor, when challenging conditions sounds so much better. Anyway, I know folks are catching fish around the area, even if it is not fast and furious. Lets face it, it's still fishing, not catching, and like your Mom said, "Nothing worth doing comes easy!"

Still some caddis hatches around, and believe it or not a few scattered hex hatches still are seen. Truly is flybox season, but I'll be out tomorrow with some bright streamers as my choice on the Magalloway. The gate in to Upper Dam is (or should be) opened on Tuesday to the one a third-of-a-mile out, so the walk is short. However, there will need to be an increase over the 50cfs (I did say 50!) before there's any significant fishing changes there.

And in spite of low water on the Kennebago, there are some moving trout in the river.

So pack your rod and gear in the car(and leave any bad/ pessimistic attitudes at home) and come up and enjoy some of the finest natural beauty around. It'll ease the tension as we head toward the 1st anniversary of 9/11.