Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Upper Androscoggin River Report

Androscoggin River Report

Water Temp 69.82 Flow Rate 1433 CFS @ Mead Westvaco in Rumford

The fishing productivity is on the rise. I have seen several good fish come to boat in the last few days. Both Trout and Bass in the pound to two pound class. With one big Rainbow that would go three pounds anyway. We were fishing late evening and working big nymphs in a deep riffle. The fishing had been slow but there were some big fish showing their backs in an eddy every so often. We had caught a few 13” to 15” fish when my client changed to a muddler minnow and stripped it in very fast. That Rainbow took it on the raise and came three feet out of the water!

It certainly made up for the slow fishing we were having.

The biggest issue is still low water levels and the effect it has on fishing. There will be good fish holding in shallow water and they will be very spooky. Long casts are in order for those areas that hold an abundance of bait fish or other food for fish in the shallows along the edge of the deeper runs.

The same holds true for the Bass as well I have cast a plug at the mouth of a small brook with only a foot of water and had a two and a half pound Bass slam it as it landed. I didn’t expect that!

If you pay attention to the cedar wax wings as they work over the river for insects you can get into a Hatch .Something as simple as that can make your day. You just need to be observant.

“A MAN SHOULD BELIEVE IN SOMETHING….I BELIEVE I’LL GO FISHING.”