Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maine's upper Androscoggin River

Androscoggin River Report

Water Temp 72.6 Flow Rate 1400 CFS @ Mead Westvaco in Rumford.

I have fished with several parties and have had mixed results. We have had excellent fishing on one day. Catching 16 fish, a mix of Rainbows and Bass most of the Rainbows were in the 12”to 15” range and it was the same for the Bass, of course they would weigh up better. Fishing the same stretch two days later only five bass caught with the biggest going 17”.

The water temp is dropping and will continue to drop through the fall. The fishing will get better and better as the water temp heads into the fifty's. The fish should start moving out of the deep holes and can be anywhere starting now. Work systematically. Fish all the water available and think volume.

The big issue now is the amount of water flow we have. To really turn things around we need rain and a lot of it. The Browns, Salmon, and Brook Trout will spawn in October in the Tributaries and it is critical to have a good flow to optimize spawning. All it would take is to have a good storm move in or the aftermath of a hurricane to make it happen.

The biologists are looking to find just how much viable spawning habitat the river has available and also how abundant the food chain is for the growth of all sport fish. This will help them manage the River to ensure optimum numbers and quality growth rates for all species. Growing up I can remember bodies of water that were over stocked. One could catch several fish and all would be long and lean. They had seen a lot of meal times and not many meals!

Having IF&W take a quality management position Vs quantity is key to Maine maintaining Blue Ribbon fisheries like the Kennebec, Penobscot and Androscoggin.

“A man should believe in something….I believe I’ll go fishing!”