Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fishrangeley.com report

The sun is high and the fish have gone deep, but if we are patient and concentrate on the details we can still pluck these beautiful landlocks from the depths.

I very much enjoyed an evening with 7-year-old Conner and his Mom this week.

We had beautiful weather as Conner caught 4 salmon, the biggest being 3.8 lbs and 22” long, a 99 stocked fish of average growth rate. Mary was reminiscing about staying next door to Sam-o-set Camps as a kid and going in to buy penny candy from my Grandmother’s office. A small world indeed as we are the same age and I consumed my share from that glass case as well.

Another memorable morning was had with Norm, Jack and Norm’s son Dave from Maryland. They are first time visitors to Rangeley and they had a wonderful week, I’m sure they will be back. Norm and Dave each kept a fish for the grill, 19 and 21” fish at 2.8 and 2.12 lbs a piece.

On Wednesday Tom Doroski returned with his son and his son’s friend and we caught 4 salmon before 9a.m. and then the wind got a little out of hand and ended our fishing for that morning. In the evening about 7 the wind died and I set out with my friend Lenny and we caught 3 salmon and a trout in an fast fun hour of fishing.

Thursday I fished with Carl Jelleme and his 6 yr. old daughter Scarlet, Carl is a native of Nantucket and has purchased his own camp on the Rangeley. I have had the pleasure of his company now for three years. The sun rose on a glassy smooth surface that morning and we stayed under the canopy as much as we could and caught 3 salmon, two for Scarlet and one for Carl that weighed 3.8 lbs, another 99 stocked fish.

Thursday evening the fish waited until the last 1 ½ hrs of the trip and we caught 3 nice salmon with Keith and Dave and their sons Shawn and Tyler, They released all their fish of which one I noticed was a 98 male that should have been 4 or 5 pounds but was seriously underweight and exhibited some red spots on its belly. This is the only truly unhealthy fish I have seen this year, the next salmon was a nice native at 3.4 lbs. Go to the photo gallery and have a look at the fish.