Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rangeley Lake Guide fish report

On Thursday I fished with Jenny and Bill, a father daughter team from Connecticut. We had a beautiful morning to fish and managed 6 fish in four hours, all salmon from 2.5 to 3 pounds.

In the evening I fished with Leslie and her daughter Stephanie and son Jerry, we caught 4 fish again from 2 to 3 lbs and from 18 to 22 inches. You have to love the growth rate of these Rangeley Salmon. We also watched the best sunset I have seen in a while.

On Friday morning I met John and Doug Schmidt with Doug’s son Mark, we got an early start that proved to be worth the effort as the second fish was a 5lb 2oz male salmon, a beautiful fish that jumped at least 6 times and what a splash he made when all 5 pounds hit the surface. I thought to myself this fish has got to be hooked well with all this thrashing and he was still on. But the other piece of this story is Doug lives in Seattle and regularly fishes for all species of pacific salmon and knows how to handle a rod with a fish on the other end, and when the fish lay in the net the hook was not in the fish. We then went on to catch four brookies in a row, the best one was 16” and weighed 2lbs, I have to say I never saw a brook trout fight so hard and long as this one, what a pleasure to watch that copper glint under the surface as this trout would turn and run again, more like a salmon than a trout. Doug made the comment that his trip was made by catching these two fish; He kept the salmon and released the trout. He also let John and Mark catch some fish as well with one other salmon being 3.8 lbs and 22” long, which was released. Thanks to everyone for the excellent company, let’s do it again soon.

Shaun