Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
upper Androscoggin River

Androscoggin River Report

Water Temp 69 degrees Flow Rate 2034 CFS @ MEAD WESTVACO in Rumford.

The fishing for Trout is holding well for anglers who work the riffles, runs and pools. I fished a section of the River on Wednesday evening. We worked the area well, fishing all the volume of water including along the bottom. And regardless of what we tried nothing worked. There was a hatch of Midges in a size 22 range, but using both drys and nymphs proved unproductive.

We fished from five thirty till my client couldn’t see to tie on another fly, and said to call it quits. We fished the same area the next morning and picked up two nice Browns on muddlers before the sun hit the water. The Browns were both over 15 inches and made the time spent working the water hard worth it for my client. Sometimes they bite, and sometimes they don’t. That’s the bottom line.

If you look at the size and length of the Androscoggin River 165 miles long draining 1500 square miles with an average width of four hundred yards, the upper third, a full sixty miles or more offers some excellent trout fishing! There is plenty of room for people to fish and be alone. Having fisherman who know the quality of the river and want to keep it to themselves is a natural human response. This country was formed on the belief that the Fish and Game belong to the people, ALL OF THEM! I understand the issues that face any Blue Ribbon Fishery. How to maintain it’s quality and pristine nature? As a guide I know very well that I hold a Double-edged sword, Knowledge. I may be an optimist, but I’ve seen the river come back from almost biologic extinction . I think that the state of Maine will manage the river to it’s full potencial.

A man should believe in something….I believe I’ll go fishing!