Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region

Check our Maine fishing forum for fishing reports from Registered Maine Guides and Fishing Tackle Shops in the Rangeley Lakes Region of Western Maine. The Rangeley Lakes Region is a four reason resort area reknown for fly fishing and trolling for trophy size Landlocked Salmon and Brook Trout.

Maine Fishing Reports from The Rangeley Lakes Region
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rangeley Lake Fishing

Next weekend, my dad, my cousin, and I are coming up from Bethel to our family camp on Rangeley Lake for the weekend. What pound line do you suggest for fishing Rangeley Lake? I usually troll a 6lb mono but I have heard and seen that there are some big fish coming out of there and have thought about upping the weight. Also, is drifting dead smelts/jigging effective? Because there will be three of us and we only have one downrigger so I was wondering about that.What depths will the Salmon and Trout be at? Last time we were there we were getting bites at around 35-50ft but that was in mid-June so I'm assuming that the fish have moved deeper. And finally, what are the best spots? My dad and I usually troll near Bonney Point and in front of Hunter's cove (where it's around 100ft), but is there anywhere better? I've heard that Doctors and South Bog islands and near the State Park are good places to fish but I never get bites there. Thanks!

Re: Rangeley Lake Fishing

Hi Noah; I personally use 8# mono on all my lines, seems to work well no matter what size fish.Drifting dead smelts can be o.k. if the wind is right but then you don't really know what depth you are fishing. Tholling very slow is the key when fishing dead smelts,around 1 mph.Fish are being caught at 45 to 65'.Doctors Island area has been very good this past week
Tight lines
Ray

Ray, Your busy on this site. Nice job. please confirm you recieved this email. Tom Marsh

Hey Tom e mail received Thanks
Ray