Return to Website

Cang Jie Input Method Forum

Exchange of any ideas regarding the Cang Jie input method and other input methods for Chinese characters as well as the works and projects of Henry Chu BangFu, the inventor of the Cang Jie System.

Cang Jie Input Method Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: An unjustified critic of the CJ Method

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Message sent by anonymous (ÉN¥i¯à¾Ç¨ì­Ü¾e@hotmail.com) ???

""Cangjie is a complicated and useless Chinese input system. Nobody in the world can master it, not even the inventor, Mr. Chu, himself. So just forget about learning it and try the other system like "Easy Canjie", which is simple enough for most people to understand. ""

Replied below by Eddy:

Such a crude message should be backed up by some arguments. Like this, it sounds just rather impolite. I wondered for a short while if it deserved any reaction or reply. It does not. But nevertheless, here are some comments to try to raise value from where there is not:

1) You may have been unable to comprehend the CJ Method -which could explain your frustration-- but then ... if CJ is that complex, how come kids of 12 years old can type at the speed of 200 characters a minute? The principles of the CJ method and most of the practice for 90% of the characters are simple. There are some difficulties due to the fact that CJ is based on the "essence" of the Chinese chrs, i.e.: their shape and structure, and you may have noticed that these shapes are some times complex. But if you had persevere in your learning, you may have noticed that CJ will actually help you remember the shapes of the chrs.

2) "Useless". Here you should try to support your statement with some ideas, least you might appear silly: CJ was the first ever invented method allowing Chinese input with a standard keyboard.Is that useless? Before that invention by Chu Bangfu, Chinese was considered as a language incompatible with computers and was almost condemned to oblivion b y obsolescence! No more so after his invention: is that useless, or maybe you think Chinese characters are useless too?!

3) You seem to be very well informed about Mr. Chu's abilities!? I have seen him typing inn CJ many times! However, in this case what relevance it has that he types or not with CJ? I could have invented the engine to propulsate a car, and never drive one! Don't waste your time (and other's people time) with inutile remarks, please.

4)"Easy CJ" is a simplification of the full standard CJ input method. I always thought it was Mr. Chu's group that had come out with that secondary application of its main method. Anyway, the important point is that, yes, Easy CJ is easier than CJ and it can be recommended in some cases. However, most of the rules of CJ must be learned and known (Signs, Partition of characters, exceptions) to apply Easy CJ. So, I wonder how you are not in trouble with Easy CJ also? Besides, Easy CJ has not the speed of CJ, nor the advantage of helping to remember characters' shapes so much as the full method.

An other extra advantage of the CJ Method, besides input, is that the code structure allows a classification of characters in an alphabetical order, one entry for each character. But I do not expect you can well perceive the value of such capability, which is not offered by Easy CJ nor by Phonetic input methods.

Eddy