Return to Website

Cang Jie Input Method Forum

Exchange of any ideas regarding the Cang Jie input method and other input methods for Chinese characters as well as the works and projects of Henry Chu BangFu, the inventor of the Cang Jie System.

Cang Jie Input Method Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Learning Game for Cang-Jie

Hello Eddy and All!

I caught a v ery interesting idea - honestly, I put together two things: Russian TV game "Field of Wonders" (or how is it called, I haven't read "Pinoccio" in English) and Chinese language. A brief comment for that game: 3 players that try to guess a closed word (or sometimes - even a phrase), a quizmaster, players roll a cylinder, and if there are no penalty or turn passing, a player names one letter, and if it is presented in the closed word, this player gains some points and repeats his turn; if he missed, then turn is passed to the next player. Player, which opens the whole word or names it, wins. If a player in his turn names the whole word wrongly, he leaves the game. There are 3 simple tours, from which 3 winners are chosen, and then a final tour where these 3 compete for a greater prize. (In previous times there were more specific words, now it's simply a show, and words are common.) I hope there are similar TV shows in America, so you caught the main idea.

For characters themselves it is, of course, not applicable. But for cang-jie - very handy. There are some characters (2-3-4) closed, and above them go closed lines with CJ codes. If a player names a letter which exists in a code, then part of this code opens. If a whole code is opened, then its character opens also. For this game some classical phrases can be used - from some well-known books maybe, or simply some 3-character terms (like "computer" - "ji-suan-ji"). Degree of simplicity can be regulated through length of codes - EG no more than 4 letters in a code or, for final tours, no less than 3 codes. Also original lengths of codes can be shown or hidden.

I believe this game will be able to assist studying of Cang-jie system.

BTW, did anybody calculate some statistics, which letter meets most often and which - least often?

With best regards,

Peter