This free service is provided by Rick Davies, editor of the MandE NEWS website.
Please use this Forum to publicise M&E related short term consultancies and full time employed positions.
To publicise training events, use the M&E Training page
To publicise M&E conferences, use the M&E Conferences page
To seek or provide other M&E related information please use the M&E NEWS email list
CAVEAT: The listing of opportunities on this page does not imply any form of endorsement by MandE NEWS of the accuracy of the information provided, or the integrity of the providers.
REQUEST: Please do not waste my time by posting irrelevant material, ether about non-M&E jobs or about other unrelated matters.
POSITION: Country Representative, Haiti
DURATION: Temporary, Full Time (16 months)
DEPARTMENT: IO – Global Programs
LOCATION: Port Au Prince, Haiti
Do you want to make a difference? Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking a Country Representative, Haiti.
Reporting to the Head of Region, Americas, the Country Representative is the senior Canadian Red Cross (CRC) representative in the country specified and is responsible for overseeing and developing new programming in Haiti based on Haitian RC, Movement and CRC strategy and priorities.
The Country Representative will ensure that CRCS programs are implemented efficiently and effectively, framed by IO Strategy 2020 (S2020), and CRCS’ commitment to deliver in the Last Mile.
The Country Representative contributes towards the mandate of the Global Programs: Oversee the delivery of programs and services to people and communities within the context of S2020 in four regions: Asia, Africa, Americas and MENA. The Country Representative in close coordination with their line manager manages and grows partnerships and relationships with select National Societies and key stakeholders in the field.
The Country Representative will contribute to the success of the matrix model, agility of the organization, delivering against the One Red Cross vision and interoperability, implement innovations/learning within programs, ensure robust risk management and personnel wellbeing.
CRC Representation and Coordination
• Represents CRC and maintains strong relationships with the Haitian RC, other RC National Societies, the International Federation, national authorities, international and national organizations, donor Governments, as well as national and international media as needed.
• Actively provides high level representation, particularly at key coordination meetings as well as at other external meetings, and advances the strategic interests of CRC programs in Haiti.
• Actively participates in Movement fora and initiatives related to overall Movement coordination, and with regards to the security environment in Haiti.
• Ensures consistent and effective communication with CRCS delegations in all locations in Haiti as well as with CRCS headquarters and the regional representation in Panama.
• Builds collaborative and effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to Movement partners, and other relevant organizations.
• Liaises with the country representatives of Partners National Societies and IFRC on operational matters pertaining to the CRC.
Program Management and Development
• Ensures consistency in the CRCS program implementation in Haiti and works in close collaboration with Ottawa support teams (QALI, GHU, ERT and Finance) as required.
• Ensures effective development and implementation of CRCS program activities according to approved plans, budgets, regulations and policies.
• Oversees good financial controls, adherence to processes and policy, monitoring of budget and development of accurate and timely financial reports.
• Ensures delegation planning, budgeting and reporting is carried out in a timely manner and in accordance with CRCS and donor requirements, formats and standards.
• Identifies opportunities for new areas of work according to CRCS and Americas regional priorities and identifies new funding sources and negotiates funding opportunities.
• Ensures appropriate identification and planning of required logistics support for effective and efficient delivery of programs.
Personnel and Resource Management
• Provides strong leadership, expertise and innovation in human resource planning in the management of the subordinates.
• Manages personnel through objectives setting, coaching and the provision of support to effectiveness and accountability.
• Plans for personnel changes and ensures that knowledge is transferred during the transition period.
• Ensures ongoing skills development for team members. Creates and maintains an environment of effective teamwork.
• Engages, builds and maintains ongoing relationships with colleagues at National Office to ensure effective collaboration in program delivery.
• Provides training to local staff and delegates to increase their knowledge and skills and ensure compliance of established policies and practices.
Security and Risk Management
• Is accountable for the safety and security of all CRCS personnel (including visitors) in country which includes operational, movements, communications and decision-making informed by the evolving security situation.
• Ensures consistent Risk and Security management including continuous monitoring and assessment, analysis, security risk prevention and contingency planning, including safety, well-being, financial and, reputation risks, unwarranted delays, clear and timely communication.
• Ensures effective security management according to the RCRC movement and CRCS security protocols including, but not limited to, the development and maintenance of business continuity, and all security planning.
• Meets financial objectives by forecasting requirements.
• Prepares and monitors annual budget in coordination with program colleagues at National Office.
• Monitors expenditures and analyzes variances.
• Ensures oversight and control of spending against budget
Education and experience
• Post graduate level education in a related discipline is preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Previous Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement experience is required along with a demonstrated commitment to the principles of the RCRC Movement.
• A minimum of 10 years experience working in conflict and post conflict programming preferred (preference given to complex environments).
• Experience in the management of Government of Canada funded projects.
• Experience in and knowledge of X geographical area a strong asset.
Abilities and skills
• Demonstrated experience in senior level representation, relationship building and management, and strong diplomacy and negotiation skills.
• Proven experience in effective country-level planning and coordination with a range of different stakeholders.
• Solutions oriented with demonstrated analytical skills.
• Proposal preparation, development and negotiation experience an asset.
• Proven experience in overseeing program or operation budgets.
• Demonstrated experience in managing and motivating teams in complex and high stress environments.
• Excellent English communication skills, both verbal and written.
• This is a field based position. Working in countries of operation is very demanding, both physically and psychologically. Difficult working conditions are expected, including the following:
Issues of access and mobility due to the dynamic nature of an emergency situation and proximity to disaster-affected area.
Ability to meet the physical requirements of an ERU mission, which may include the set up, stocking or packing down of a field hospital, the ability to lift up to 25 kgs, and the ability to stand or travel for long periods of time.
Long hours of work in a demanding context with limited resources.
The ability to work in a high risk, fluid and evolving situation may be required, as is the ability to work in stressful and often ambiguous conditions.
Basic living conditions that may include intermittent electricity, Internet and other basic services.
CRCS supports a safe working environment and comfortable accommodation however, as in all contexts, delegates must be aware and responsible for their personal safety and that of employees under their supervision.
In some contexts, legal frameworks and institutions to enforce the rule of law are largely undeveloped.
In some remote areas access to healthcare could be limited or non-existent.
All CRCS delegates must be cleared by the Travel Health Team with full medical and vaccination clearance.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested parties may submit their application by applying on the Canadian Red Cross Online Career Website by midnight EST on December 4, 2017.
This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record, reference check, valid provincial driver’s license, valid passport and First Aid certification. The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Organisation Canadian Red Cross