This free service is provided by Rick Davies, editor of the MandE NEWS website.
Please use this Forum to publicise M&E related short term consultancies and full time employed positions.
To publicise training events, use the M&E Training page
To publicise M&E conferences, use the M&E Conferences page
To seek or provide other M&E related information please use the M&E NEWS email list
CAVEAT: The listing of opportunities on this page does not imply any form of endorsement by MandE NEWS of the accuracy of the information provided, or the integrity of the providers.
REQUEST: Please do not waste my time by posting irrelevant material, ether about non-M&E jobs or about other unrelated matters.
Terms of Reference
Digital Monitoring Support Consultancy
Consultancy: Monitoring Support Consultancy
Consultancy Reporting Lines: Reports to Senior Manager, Evidence
Contract: Three months
About Girl Effect
Girl Effect works to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty for girls. We believe that if we stop viewing girls as part of the problem and see them instead as participants in new solutions, they can rewrite their future and their children’s – creating a better reality for all.
However, social norms hold girls back. Even when the services they need are available, individual and societal barriers prevent girls from accessing them – they’re effectively confined by these ‘invisible barriers’. We want to reframe how girls are valued by changing how girls and the people around them think, feel and act.
We do this by helping connect girls to each other and to the critical assets they need by harnessing the power of mass culture brands to reframe the value of girls. Everything we do is driven by girls and accelerated by technology to deliver the biggest impact.
We are a creative social business bringing the power of brands to the development sector. We bring together a diverse group of people from across a range of disciplines including media brands, digital, evidence, gender specialism and programme implementation from both the private and not-for-profit sectors. We work at the cutting edge of the international development and media sectors, and have built a culture that is entrepreneurial and fast-paced.
Context of the role
Girl Effect Mobile is a global digital platform, connecting girls to inspiring content in 61 countries and 26 languages. Developed in partnership with Facebook's Free Basics initiative, Girl Effect Mobile provides a platform that connects girls to vital information, entertaining content and to each other. By increasing girls' basic knowledge about health, education, financial security and safety, and enabling them to share stories and communicate with experts and mentors, Girl Effect Mobile is helping build their self-confidence and ability to overcome cultural barriers.
GEM want to build up a community of empowered individuals giving the opportunity to the user to be able to leave comments, take a poll or survey, connect with experts on Q&A sessions, among others.
Since its launch in January 2015, Girl Effect Mobile has reached more than 20 million unique users, and the platform continues to explore new ways to create positive behaviour change for girls.
Girl Effect London is seeking a consultant to provide short-term support for monitoring the platform, supporting the development key monitoring tools that will directly contribute to the platform’s overall learning and ongoing development. Further detail is outlined in the key deliverables.
The consultant will work closely with the Girl Effect Evidence lead for Girl Effect Mobile in London, with considerable interaction with local content teams in Indonesia, Philippines, South Africa and Nigeria to deliver the key requirements. These deliverables are divided into four components across the following components:
● Survey support. The GEM platform measures changes in knowledge, attitude and practice across pre-defined outcomes and indicators. The consultant will be tasked with developing a comprehensive survey question bank with survey questions aimed at 14-16 year olds pertaining to economic empowerment, education, health, safety and agency. The consultant will also develop guidelines on survey cadence and timing linked to content roll out.
● Qualitative analysis framework. The GEM platform includes fields for commenting and submitting first-person stories. Using NVivo or another qualitative analysis software, the consultant will develop an analysis framework for use by local content teams.
● Support in-field qualitative monitoring sessions. The GEM monitoring framework will include in-field qualitative sessions to triangulate and add depth to our understanding of girls’ motivations for visiting the platform and explore her associated knowledge, attitude and behaviour change. These sessions will also explore boys’ and gatekeepers perceptions of the platform. The consultant will be responsible for supporting a robust methodology, including recruitment guidance and designing tools for use by in-country local research firms.
● Monthly reports. The consultant will be responsible for reviewing current monthly report formats, and with Girl Effect’s data scientist, develop a uniform template for monthly reporting.
Required skills and experience
Successful candidates should display the following:
● Considerable previous experience developing survey questionnaires aimed at adolescent youth
● Considerable previous experience developing qualitative monitoring frameworks and tools
● Advanced experience in qualitative software
● Experience working with, collecting and analysing digital data is preferred
● Understanding of research best practice and research with adolescent girls
● Track record of developing consultancy projects on time, on budget and to a high standard
● Excellent written and fluent spoken English
The consultancy will be directed by the Senior Manager, Evidence, who is based in Girl Effect’s London office with significant interaction with the platform’s strategy, content and tech teams. London based consultants are preferred.
Interested consultants should send a detailed cover letter (including fee rate) and CV to Kecia Bertermann, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Organisation Girl Effect
Country United Kingdom