This free service is provided by Rick Davies, editor of the MandE NEWS website.
Please use this Forum to publicise M&E related short term consultancies and full time employed positions.
To publicise training events, use the M&E Training page
To publicise M&E conferences, use the M&E Conferences page
To seek or provide other M&E related information please use the M&E NEWS email list
CAVEAT: The listing of opportunities on this page does not imply any form of endorsement by MandE NEWS of the accuracy of the information provided, or the integrity of the providers.
REQUEST: Please do not waste my time by posting irrelevant material, ether about non-M&E jobs or about other unrelated matters.
POSITION: SERA Delegate
DURATION: 12 Months - Unaccompanied
LOCATION: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo
CLASSIFICATION: Level 4
Do you want to make a difference? Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society (CRCS), a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world. CRCS is currently seeking an experienced SERA Delegate.
The Canadian Red Cross has a Strategic Partnership with the Canadian Government (GAC) aimed at capacity strengthening national Red Cross and Red Crescent societies. A component of this partnership is the Capacity Strengthening for Emergency Response in Africa (SERA), a five year Initiative to strengthen the emergency preparedness and response capacity of four National Societies (NS) in Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Ethiopia, Mali, and South Sudan.
Under the supervision of the SERA Regional Manager based in Addis Ababa, the SERA Delegate`s primary role is accompaniment, follow-up, overall direction and delivery of technical support to the two NS to improve disaster preparedness and response capacity. This includes developing, delivering and/or brokering training, document technical review, facilitation, mentorship, coaching, tools, and advisory services targeted to address National Society priorities. The priorities are based on regular assessments and are laid out in the SERA country plans. This is not an operational Disaster Management (DM) response role responding to a specific crisis. The SERA Delegate will be based in Kinshasa with frequent travel to Mali.
The SERA Delegate is responsible for initiating and fostering collaborative relationships with the National Societies, the PNSs working in these National Societies, the Canadian government at country level, the ICRC and the IFRC. In particular, the SERA Delegate will work closely with the Advisory Teams and technical advisors at local, regional and international level.
Program Management of the SERA program in DRC and Mali
• Ensure that the progress of the Initiative is according to proposed goals and objectives, considers and proposes adjustments if required.
• Track the budgets, in collaboration with the finance teams at NS and the SERA Initiative Coordination Office in Ethiopia, review expenditures regularly to ensure that the Initiative is operating within approved annual budgets.
• Ensure initiative planning/budgeting, implementation, and reporting to support timeliness and quality.
• Review terms of reference with technical support and consultants and provide input.
OD/DM technical support in all SERA countries
• Deliver, coordinate and/or broker training and technical support on DM and related systems according to set country plans in order to improve the national societies` disaster preparedness and response system including aspects leadership and resource mobilization.
• Represent the Initiative in the two countries, identify potential opportunities to align and partner with existing plans and initiatives.
• Help the two national societies identify gaps and priorities in order to specify training/technical support/equipment and to source a quality provider, as well as provide mentoring, coaching, facilitation, and technical document review.
• Ensure integration of crosscutting themes in these activities: gender equity, violence prevention and beneficiary accountability.
• Ensure that lessons learnt, case studies and success stories are fully documented and used to continuously improve SERA and future CRC initiatives future Emergency Response planning, programming and implementation.
Coordination support (focus Mali/DRC)
• Support Regional Project Coordination Office with in-person follow-ups as needed related to country plan development, implementation activities, narrative and financial reporting and evaluation.
Education and Experience
• Graduate level degree in a field relevant to disaster management, organizational change or related support services (e.g. project management, MBA, humanitarian studies, management studies, logistics, and support services).
• 5-10 years of international experience as a manager in contexts of disaster preparedness, response, recovery. This includes experience in support functions including managers of fund development, finance, and logistics for emergency response.
• Experience in mentoring, coaching and training.
• Experience working in African context.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to adapt/simplify complex concepts for a wide range of audiences.
• Versatility, judgment, maturity and the ability to work in a geographically separated team.
• Calm, positive, and collaborative under fire.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing systems, procedures, policies, processes.
• Previous Red Cross Red Crescent experience a strong asset.
• Demonstrated ability to work in high stress environments with minimal supervision.
• Knowledge of context in one or more of the targeted countries including potential local/regional partners either in the Movement or external with technical expertise in DM and related support services, leadership, resource mobilization preferred.
• Strong commitment to the Principles and Values of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement.
• Excellent verbal and written skills in English and French.
This is an unaccompanied position based in Kinshasa with frequent travel to Mali. Time spent outside country of primary residence is expected to exceed 30%.
CRCS supports a safe working environment and comfortable accommodation; however, as in all contexts, delegates must be aware and responsible for their personal safety and that of employees under their supervision. Environments can become unstable and unpredictable, and require very strict adherence to security regulations. Access to basic amenities and services may be limited.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested parties may submit their application by applying on the Canadian Red Cross Online Career Website by midnight EST on February 3, 2016.
This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record, reference check, valid provincial driver’s license, valid passport and First Aid certification. The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Organisation Canadian Red Cross