Title: Impact Evaluation Specialist / Crop Insurance
Level: Mid- to Senior
Term: Short-Term, approx. 25-30 days
Start Date: April/May 2012
Location: Dominican Republic, United States
dTS is a strategic management consulting firm leading initiatives in social and economic development with a view to promoting equality and accountability. Our services in gender integration; training and capacity building; and monitoring and evaluation have been applied in a variety of sectors across 60 countries for USAID, MCC, USTDA, the US Department of State, and other clients.
dTS is recruiting an Impact Evaluation Specialist with expertise in Crop Insurance to provide virtual and on-site support to USAID/EGAT and USAID/Dominican Republic to design an impact evaluation of a global climate change (GCC) integration pilot project which aims to help small farmers to adapt to climate change by providing tailored crop insurance products which serve to protect gains made in the context of the mission’s food security programming.
This work will be performed under the three-year, USAID-funded Global Climate Change (GCC) Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Project, which supports USAID’s efforts in assisting countries to accelerate their transition to climate-resilient, low-emissions development.
The Impact Evaluation Specialist / Crop Insurance will report to the Project Leader (Chief of Party) and, in close coordination with USAID/EGAT, assist with preparatory and design tasks for an anticipated 2016/17 impact evaluation. Specific duties will include:
- Assist USAID/Dominican Republic in finalizing project design and results framework;
- Lead or participate in an on-site team tasked with finalizing evaluation questions, identifying indicators and data sources;
- Develop potential evaluation designs and options given likely implementation approaches, outcomes, and funding levels;
- Gather adequate information for developing a notional budget for the evaluation under different funding scenarios
- Support the incorporation of the chosen evaluation design into the implementing partner’s proposal or work plan(s);
- Identify and assess capabilities, strengths/weaknesses, and references of potential local data collection partners;
- Depending on the evaluation design and timeline, follow-on work may include a second (and possibly third) site visit to develop and test survey instruments, train local partners in data collection (if needed), and oversee baseline data collection.
Qualifications for the Position:
• Advanced degree in economics, international development, environmental studies, natural resource management, agriculture, or other related fields.
• At least 8 years of progressively responsible work experience demonstrating substantial expertise in the following:
o Designing, implementing, leading, or back-stopping impact evaluations of international development projects, preferably funded by USAID or other U.S. Government agencies, including data analysis work;
o Agriculture, including crop insurance; and
o (Preferred) Social marketing, disaster risk management, and public-private partnerships.
• Demonstrated background in quantitative methods.
• Country or regional experience strongly preferred.
• Fluency in Spanish preferred.
• Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and concurrently manage a variety of activities effectively to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
• Strong communicator, with strong verbal, writing and editing skills
• Good problem solving skills.
• Team-oriented individual.
• Ability to travel internationally.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, indicate “Impact Evaluation Specialist / Crop Insurance.” A cover letter is not required but welcome. We regret that we are unable to take phone calls or accept submissions via fax. Only finalists will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
dTS is an equal opportunity employer.
Organisation Development and Training Services, Inc. (dTS)