ILC Africa seeks a qualified Senior-level Virtual Proposal Writer to expand the firm’s portfolio and revenue by identifying and writing for business and funding opportunities. The Proposal Writer may be an independent consultant or someone seeking extra compensation. The person can be based anywhere, and s/he will work closely with ILC Africa team members in Ghana (West Africa) and the United States through email, Skype, and telephone. ILC Africa expects the consultant to produce approximately 2-4 deliverables (i.e., proposals, expressions of interest, etc.) per week depending on the nature of the opportunity. The position is flexible, and ILC Africa will negotiate a compensation package based on the skills, experience, and availability of the candidate.
Given the virtual nature of the position, the consultant must possess a no-excuses, work-hard attitude with a focus on meeting deadlines and deliverables. The consultant must also be quick and aggressive to independently create concepts, diagrams, tables, and narratives with limited input from others. The consultant should be open and flexible to constructive feedback as well as patient and humble in the revision process towards a winning proposal.
ILC Africa is an Africa-based evaluation and research firm that is committed to rigorous independent assessments of projects, programs, and organizations. Using the best methods to yield valuable findings, ILC Africa’s overall vision is to determine practices resulting in more effective development efforts.
ILC Africa's areas of expertise are the following:
• Monitoring & Evaluation Strategy and Design
• Rapid Evaluations
• Large-Scale Assessments
• Surveys and Studies
• Short-term Technical Assistance
• Capacity Building in M&E
• Development Research
In addition to evaluation activities, ILC Africa’s NGO arm carries out implementation projects in support of development in Africa. The consultant should have general knowledge and appreciation of international development sectors such as health, education, economic growth, democracy & governance, agriculture & food security, youth, gender, etc.
The Proposal Writer will perform the following tasks:
• Conduct internet research of business and funding opportunities via Devex, FedBizOpps.gov, and other internet searches on donors, foundations, and potential partners
• Maintain an excel database of opportunities that summarizes key details on deadlines, application processes, and bidding strategies
• Keep Directors informed of weekly tasks and stay close to tasks
• Analyze donor and competitor trends
• Update the ILC Africa team on research and opportunities
• Collect CVs, biodata forms, and other information from ILC Africa team members and consultants
• Draft proposals, concept papers, applications, and expressions of interest
• Organize a file of ILC Africa’s past proposals, consultant qualifications, and write-ups for reference when writing future proposals
• Assist with developing marketing materials
• Provide other support as needed
• Minimum Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
• Proven and documented experience writing successful proposals/concept papers
• Highly advanced skills and superior command of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint (a practical exam will be provided for those shortlisted)
• Flexibility to work across time zones, nights, and weekends to meet deadlines when necessary
• Strong command of English grammar and proposal writing terminologies, namely the appropriate way to word proposals
• Demonstrated interest in international development sectors
• Excellent research, data analysis/synthesis, and writing skills
• Capacity to initiate and organize work with minimal supervision
• Meticulous attention to detail, with strong proofreading and editing skills
• Previous experience with USAID and Nordic development agency proposals
Please email an expression of interest package consisting of a resume/CV, cover letter, and a one-page excerpt from any of your previous proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Proposal Writer” in the subject line. Candidates who are shortlisted should be prepared to take a practical exam, submit references, and provide previous examples of winning proposals they've written.
For more information on ILC Africa, please visit www.ilcafrica.com.
The deadline for expressions of interest is January 21st, 2012