All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Classes for 2011?

Before Marden & District Riding Club Schedules for 2011 are formally discussed it would be good to have feedback from competitors as to what type of Classes they'd particularly enjoy doing this year

Ideas can then be discussed at Club's AGM next month (date & venue to be advised)

Re: Classes for 2011?

Hi Debbie, would love to keep the fun/mixed showing as its great for the nervous/novice, would be nice to have a riding club horse class again and pony club pony maybe the class could be combined but awarded seperatly? Maybe a ridden hunter class for the first two shows when you dont run the workers? Hope you all well. Hannah

Agree with Riding Club Horse class, what about Arab/Part-bred Arab class maybe for ridden or in-hand to boost class size? I also remember a few years ago you had a Best Rider class with junior and senior sections.

definatly arab/part bred ridden and in-hand would be good and maybe the ex/trotter ex/pacer class could be mixed with ex racers too? with seperate awards if entries permit? Maybe all classes could be ridden or in-hand?

Definitely working hunter for us

what about welsh partbred classes

welsh part bred sounds too, excited to see what this years scheduale will b like

Thanks for feedback on this subject - please keep it coming!

It'll be v. useful for AGM when Members get together to discuss & vote on important issues such as this

Some Classes suggested have been tried in the past but proved unpopular so were dropped. But times change - hence this post - it really is a difficult task to put together the "ideal" schedule

As M & DRC is an unaffiliated "local-level" Club another major problem is how does it encourage newcomers & novices but at the same time maintain some sort of standard?

Debbie Rogers

As M & DRC is an unaffiliated "local-level" Club another major problem is how does it encourage newcomers & novices but at the same time maintain some sort of standard?

At an unaffiliated one-day-event recently the dressage judge insisted on novices/children being correctly turned out for her section - sent competitors out of the arena to put on gloves, remove martingales etc then brought them back in to do their test. Done in a friendly manner which ensured correct standard was maintained but children/novices still felt welcome and not threatened by level of class. This attitude encouraged them but they also felt class was of a "professional" standard.

On a similar note to Sue's post, we enjoyed being judged by Robert Cox at the Gala Show. He was friendly and relaxed but once he had awarded the placings gave us exact feedback on our turnout, riding and individual show. It was a taste of what an affiliated show class might feel like, but I don't think anyone felt alienated.

Perhaps an in hand youngstock class.

I agree with the inhand/youngstock class as there were very few about when I wanted to do some inhand showing with my young TB.Veteran is always a good one too.

in-hand def sounds a good idea, i love it when judges give helpful advise and feedback, it is great for the more novice/novice/experienced as it gives very helpful advice to help improve your show, the judge you used at the fun show was lovely, very helpful and happy to give advice.

hannah
definatly arab/part bred ridden and in-hand would be good and maybe the ex/trotter ex/pacer class could be mixed with ex racers too? with seperate awards if entries permit? Maybe all classes could be ridden or in-hand?

The Standardbred/ Thorughbred class last year was great, just a shame it was so quiet. No point having that class in hand but i think having arab/part bred in hand would be a good one

chase me charlie would be great and if possible shorten some of the classes like best turned out as a couple of times i have been in the ring for over an hour and my pony got quite frustrated

Agree Best Turned Out Class sometimes takes a while to Judge
Some Judges take longer but sometimes there are a lot of competitors in the Class & everyone expects (& deserves) a fair appraisal

Perhaps if the Class is split (say Junior & Senior) this may help?

Chase me Charlie can be a popular choice & quite good to watch - certainly worth suggesting it to Committee - thanks Hannah

Regarding In-hand Classes - trying hard to put something suitable together - thanks for input on this too

Hi
I would like to see the race horse to riding horse class included again this year that would be great!

chase me charlie sounds a very good idea, could be held after the 2.3ft class in the bottom or top ring start at a low height so everyone can have a go, tack farm start at about 1ft and there are usually 6+ people entered so worth doin as only 1st place has a rosette but maybe to encourage everyone entered could have a special or chase-me-charlie rossette? i am throughly lookin forward to this year and cant wait to c the scheduale especially with all these fab ideas from every1 xx

Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas - both here & by personal e-mail

Based on facts & figures from past Shows & feedback received a very rough "draft" schedule for April & May Shows was produced

This was handed round at Club AGM, discussed & agreed if it worked for the first Show (Sunday 10 April at Houghton Court) the format would be used throughout the season

If not it would be changed in time for June, July & August Schedules to be printed

Although it's impossible to please everyone please be assured we do try very hard

Here's to a happy & successful season & some nice warm weather!

Really impressed with the new schedule. Look forward to seeing you all again this season!

Thanks Jo - look forward to seeing you & thanks for feedback on schedule

Just had a look at the schedule but couldnt see racehorse to riding horse class?i this class still being run as I know a few people would be interested.

Jodi - last years schedule included "Best Retrained Thoroughbred or Standardbred Racehorse"

It was not popular despite having separate rosettes for Standarbreds & assurances that it would be well supported

So unfortunately it was dropped - although on the new schedule Class 22: RC/PC type horse exc/ 14.2hh gives a special award to best retrained Racehorse

April schedule is a "tester" & changes may appear from June onwards - if required/requested

Hi,

I've not looked at the schedule so maybe talking out of line - appologies if that is the case.

Could you do some young stock classes, eg Potential Sport Horse - they had one at Hay last year and it was well attended.

Or young horse to make a certain height when fully grown.

I have a spotty youngster - so a Coloured Class to include Spots, or just a Spotty class in hand.

Thank you.

Debbie Rogers
Jodi - last years schedule included "Best Retrained Thoroughbred or Standardbred Racehorse"

It was not popular despite having separate rosettes for Standarbreds & assurances that it would be well supported

So unfortunately it was dropped - although on the new schedule Class 22: RC/PC type horse exc/ 14.2hh gives a special award to best retrained Racehorse

April schedule is a "tester" & changes may appear from June onwards - if required/requested

It's a shame this class wasn't better supported last year and has now been dropped but I do understand why. tis still a shame tho!!

Due to sudden close family bereavement please accept apologies for nil response to final 2 posts

Show on 10 April will be the deciding factor on what follows

Hi having looked through schedualte i think the new classes are great although i am really disapointed that the in hand is restricted to 18yrs +
i know quite a few people and children/teens who would of liked to do in-hand but cannot due to age restriction , is there any way you can change age? Thanks

Hannah - thanks for your input (& requests from others) relating to age restrictions (Ring 4: In hand Showing Ring)

This has now been amended to read:

Class 12) Youngstock - Handler 18 years & over
Classes 13-17) - Handler 12 years & over

Safety is always a very important factor when schedules are discussed but hopefully this change will be a suitable compromise?

Club website will be amended tonight - others have been notified

Hello all

Does anyone know of someone that may be passing through Bartestree on their way to this show who may have a space in their lorry/trailer?
Keen to come along and support the show but unable to find transport.

Many thanks.