All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 4x4 advice

Look in the latest Horse and rider (April 12) has info on 4x4 and towing plus other useful info. page 122 called lost in transportation. hope this helps, Freelander not big enough.

You could try several things....
Ssangyong Rexton, tows 3 ton
Nissan X-Trail, tows 2.2 ton

I drive a 02 Reg Jeep Grand Cherokee, which tows about 2.8 ton and I love it!!!
I tow my 16.3hh Warmblood cross with it for eventing and it's great!

Hi. To be fair it is a known fact that freelanders are rubbish for towing a horse my friend has one and struggles. I have a Nissan x trail and it's fab for towing I have a chunky cob in my trailer an I could happily tow another small horse aswell. I have a very lightweight trailer though as it only weighs 737kg but they r easy to get hold of its just an old rice Europa. I previously had an old ifor Williams 505 and towed that with a 2.0l passat with no problems. Hope this helps :) xxx

Thanks for all the replys!..must admit hadn't even considered some of the cars that have been suggested!..will be more open minded from own on!..thanks again all xx

Having just gone from a lorry to a trailer I have given this a lot of thought, lots of interesting information on google.
FWIW... I had a disco and just didnt like it, maybe it was the vehicle itself as I know a lot of people are more than happy with them, I now have a Range Rover and think it is made for the job..I love towing with it.

I have towed over the years with many vehicles a bmw auto(before the tow laws were in!),Jeep,frontera,discovery and more recently our audi allroad which was by the far the best,very luxurious car pulled like a train and had a 2.2 tow limit so could tow 2 if you wanted to with a 800kish trailer,it was superior in towing capability to the discovery and also 4wd too,about 30ish to the gallon fuel wise(diesel)so the same as a discovery/other 4x4 but also has the advantage of adjustable air suspension for hitching!I now have a 2 horse box but would go back to the allroad if circumstances changed,fabulous car(altho not cheap to service!!)

thanks for all the replys guys...now have a clearer idea on what to look for..and have a few lined up to view!!!!!!!

Hi you cant go wrong with Xtrail, Shogan sport or Toyota 4 runner. Discoveries; early 200tdi not good build and not a great towing vehicle, TD5 great on road but useless when you want to go steady or up hill towing. Also has issues with fuel injection and air suspension on newer models. Volvo xc90 another option. or if you want a bit more space and serious towing Nissan pathfinder 5-7 seats and 3 tonne towing and a great comfortable car.