All topics
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
saddle for a round cob

Has any one used a Heather Moffat treeless saddle?
I have a rather/very round 15.1 cob wondered if one of these would be suitable or if any one has a round cob what do you use. Even though i get on from a mounting block the saddle slips round unless some one holds other stirrup or i stand on a gate and just sit on saddle. Any helpful advice appreciated.
Thank you.

Re: saddle for a round cob

The Thorowgood T4 cob saddle is designed for oildrums - I have an oildrum shaped Arab, and it doesn't slip round on him. It has an extra point for the third girth strap, and you can get different gullet plates to change the fit as the horse's shape changes. The gullet plates range from wide to XXXWide!

I have a GFS Haflinger saddle for my rotund cob. It has 4 girth straps and a changeable gullet and I use an Aerborn Humane girth with it. Works for me!

I really wouldn't buy any of the Heather Moffat treeless saddles. There have been huge problems with pressure marks under the stirrup bars and they can slip like mad. You will probably do the splits when on board also which will knacker you hips very quickly. trouble is, if you contact her with any issues/queries you will always get the same answer - all her horses work fine in them and they've never had any problems. I suggest that you google her saddle and see what others on forums have said too!

A decent treed saddle any day for me - even on a wide cob!

Hi Pauline,

Have you considered the Native pony Saddle Company? My Connemara is a very wide boy and I had really struggled for quite some time to find something which 'fit' - most saddles I tried either rolled, or just pinched, restricting movement in his shoulders.
Clive (in my personal opinion, a fantastic master saddler) sorted my boy right out (he had a stock of 19!! different (makes, models and styles) saddles for me to try)
http://www.nativeponysaddles.com/saddles.html
I've not looked back :O)

I hope you get something sorted soon. There is much more to saddlery than I ever realised!!
I hope that helps.

Good luck
Áine

I have had a nightmare of a time trying to find a saddle to fit my Sec D mare. But there is now a saddle on the saddles page on here (typical now ive found one). It is an Ideal Highland and Cob (H&C) and they are designed exactly for the shape of these horses. It may have already gone but always worth a try.

Pauline,
You might like to consider using a Limpet Saddle Pad - they are designed to stop saddles slipping. You can view more on www.limpetsaddlepad.co.uk

Hi yes definitely take a look at the highland and cob ideal saddle. Got one for our extremely wide section C and it fits a treat. Before we bought her seven years ago she had a badly fitting saddle and quite understandably shows her upset whenever we try a saddle that causes her a problem. The only saddle which she was happy in was a circle Y western saddle. In January my daughter decided to show her in some English ridden classes and for that reason purchased the ideal saddle. It is a super fit and the only we tried which we would even consider, nothing else even treeless saddles stood a chance of fitting her flat wide shape.