Return to Website

Football Coaching Courses

Help for Courses and Drills.

Soccer Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
position and defense(staying in the lines) any suggestions to further this?

this is their first year on a full size field and they are having trouble directing play and staying in position, i invented a drill where i divide half the field up with ropes into four equal sections running toward the goal.

I have 1 defence player and one attack player in each "Column".

I then get the attack to run toward defense and pass the ball, the rules are as follows. only 1 attack and 1 defence player in each column at any time. If attack have two players in one square at a time, they lose a point and go back to half way to start again.

If defense clear the ball past half way they win a point and attack starts at halfweay again.

If defence have two players in one column at once. Attack has a free kick from that spot and can take a crack at goal.

The general aim is First to 10 wins and then switch ends.

I am mainly focusing on defence with this game as this is where my team is weakest, but i think this will help attack as well. I think this shoud help them to understand field positions.

I have added variations like they are only allowed 3 touches etc.

Can anyone suggest what else i could try, or furhter additions that might add to this drill?

Re: position and defense(staying in the lines) any suggestions to further this?

Sometimes it helps to walk them through it for the first few minutes at practice, when you get to your functional part, put the ball in different areas and see how they adjust their positions to suit their proximity to the play area. As they get the hang of it (not walking)put balls in different positions around the grid-playing area your using, and deliberatly change which ball they are using, so they can adjust their positions to suit the phase of play.I have also used a similar drill to yours, but with squares and rectangles that are expanded as they get more proficient in their positioning. If they are bunching try putting one or two players outside the bunch and tell them to try to score at every opporunity, then get one player from each 'side' that is 'in the bunch' to play it to his teamate outside every time he gets the ball, change this player in bunch frequently. They will very quickly get the idea that to stop the other team from scoring they need to spread out. To get team shape going try using a grid divided into thirds, and put a no-tackle area at the back for a defender/s encourage the defender/s to play wide by putting a free runner outside the grid on each side (plays for both teams), he can't be tackled at first either but must play at leats one pass into the middle third before a team can score. You can change their options to suit what you are working on very easily, ie encouraging the winger-free runner to come inside the grid, where he can be tackled

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

this is their first year on a full size field and they are having trouble directing play and staying in position, i invented a drill where i divide half the field up with ropes into four equal sections running toward the goal.

I have 1 defence player and one attack player in each "Column".

I then get the attack to run toward defense and pass the ball, the rules are as follows. only 1 attack and 1 defence player in each column at any time. If attack have two players in one square at a time, they lose a point and go back to half way to start again.

If defense clear the ball past half way they win a point and attack starts at halfweay again.

If defence have two players in one column at once. Attack has a free kick from that spot and can take a crack at goal.

The general aim is First to 10 wins and then switch ends.

I am mainly focusing on defence with this game as this is where my team is weakest, but i think this will help attack as well. I think this shoud help them to understand field positions.

I have added variations like they are only allowed 3 touches etc.

Can anyone suggest what else i could try, or furhter additions that might add to this drill?